Thursday, December 2, 2004

trite t.v.

I have a confession to make. I watch the O.C. Religously. I actually think it's pretty good. The characters are pretty well developed and fairly well written. Its very superficial, all about who's dating who, who's mad at who. All relationship stuff. Except for that little bit about Ryan being intrested in architecture and the Newport News bussiness. But when your in highschool your social life probably is the most important thing anyway. But that's not all its got going for it. The characters aren't all the same. Most of them like alterna-punk and comics and video games,which is great, because I would have loved to have t.v. role models back then (only 3 years ago). But the charcters aren't one sided or one demensonal either. And the parents. They're dynamic and well represented and they all have strengths and weaknesses. They're neither too perfect (7th heaven, father knows best, leave it to beaver) or too nuerotic ( Buffy, Sputh Park, Family Guy). It's not a perfect show, but atleast its more realistic than most shows. I don't know about the acting. I like it too much to be objective about that. I do think the guy who plays Cohen is pretty good. I don't know about the rest. They seem to vary as far as I'm concerned. Some are better than others. I can't tell about Ben (the guy who plays Ryan) he doesn't do or say much, but that might just be his character. I've never seen him in anything else. Misha Barton I could take her or leave her. As a matter of fact if they wrote her out of the show it would solve a lot of plot problems as far as I'm concerned. Actually I think her character is somewhat one dimensional, and I can't really tell what she's thinking. I still love the show. Can't miss it. "Don't you know not to bother me thursday nights from 8 to 9."
While I was watching the show they showed that Gap commercial with Sarah Jessica Parker and J.C. Chavez ( I looked it up- I have no idea who he is) was singing Shining Star by Earth,Wind, and Fire. He gets to the part where he sings "Shining bright to see what you can truly be what you can truly be" and she cuts him off at can in order to say something that I can't even remember. What?!! Why couldn't they have waited unit he sings the word be. It's not like he didn't continue singing after she was done talking. I wouldn't be caught dead bying or wearing their clothes, but I normally like the commercials. But that was just sloppy editing. It's not like they didn't pay millions of dollars to get the commercial made in the first place, how much more could it have cost them to edit it properly. Whatever.


No comments: