Saturday, May 21, 2005

The DaVinchi Code- Dan Brown

After more than a year of trying to find this book in library or at a used book store (Jackson Street Books is a good one), I randomly got this copy for my birthday. http://www.danbrown.com/ It's pretty interesting, but I can definately see why all the controversy. A lot of what is said in the book is either true or at least belived to be true by different groups of people, but I think this book would be very dangerous or atleast confusing if you didn't know the facts behind it.
But I really enjoyed this book. It was a great mystery/thriller. Plus the theologies, ect were very interesting. I don't think it was accurrate or factual which leads me to the books downfall.
The writing is utter crap. The characters were not developed. The main character ( Robert Langdon) has almost no personallity whatsoever except we are told he is a Harvard professor. At one point there is a hint of unrequited love, but this is quickly dropped. Some of the characters are merely plot devices (Sophie, Remey). Plus the dialouge is contrived and illogicall. It is if Dan Brown has never heard a real conversation. The use of French phrases was cute.. but irritating. In the beginning Brown solves this problem by having Langdon not understand French, but he is revealed to be a master linguist as well so.. what the f**. The discriptions were pretty basic. I have to say that the beggining of the book was much better written than the end. It appears that Brown has fallen into the trap of quickly finishing a book to meet a deadline.
However I recommend this book, because, although I do not find it especially well written it is still interesting and is entertaining. But I don't think I would have been as interested in the book had it not been so controversial. Its a great compelling one time read, compelling and suspenseful, but I wouldn't buy it.

No comments: