Thursday, May 26, 2005

THX 1153

Interesting movie. This is one of George Lucas's ( Star Wars) first films. It was developed from a student film he did. The film was incredibly well shot and the concept is interesting, but I don't think its one of the most remarkable film's I've ever seen.
I enjoyed it, but possibly not as much as I could have. Although I've noticed I don't really like science fiction as much as I thought I did. Not even political science fiction. Although.. that may not be true. Because I do like political fiction a lot. But I degress.
The movie is about a world were people are numbered , cataloged, and otherwise treated like machines. Kind of like a doomsday thing. The plot follows a man (THX 1153) who breaks these regulations and attempts to escape. Everyone is drugged in order to keep them from feeling anykind of emotion. The movie has lots of interesting aspects and ideas and is worth watching just for that. Although to be honest, I feel that as visually stunning as it is, it would make a better book.
One thing I really liked about the movie was the absoulute lack of color in the film. Everything was dull oridanary and regimented, so there wasn't any color. I believe that color says a lot about people and who they are. The lack of color went well with the lack of emotion.
I think it might have done well as a short film. In fact the movie came from a full length film, which I did not see. However there were certain themes that could have been expanded upon that would have made the film more interesting. I think it would be interesting to see the short film and see how the two compare.

No comments: