Thursday, July 14, 2005

Salsa Night at the Ritz

I seemed to have stumbled upon a whole underground scene of dancing in this town. Every Wednesday night, the Ritz, a club I have previously not been to, has salsa lessons starting at 9pm followed by a night of dancing. It's pretty cheap, as the cover is only $3. You can look it up here in the flagpole.

The crowd is pretty diverse. There was a nice range of ages and social types. The event doesn't seem to attract any particular kind of crowd, except one that likes dancing. Many of the people there have little or no experience, but there was also a nice group of people taking the advanced lessons, who seemed to really know what they were doing. Some of them were quite impressive. What really surprised me was how many guys were there. I don't know if they were dragged by their girlfriends/wives or if there is just a large crowd of guys who like to dance, but either way it surprised me.

The club was a lot bigger than it looks from the outside. The bar is at the front. I don't know about the prices, but when they were club 386 they were pretty high, but I've been told they have changed since then. They have a dj that plays pretty much just salsa music, so if you don't like that kind of music you probably won't enjoy it.

A lot of people left their purses and drinks on the counters and tables during the lessons, which surprised me, but I didn't here about anyone's stuff getting stolen or anything so it seemed like a pretty safe crowd. Not particularly friendly, as most people stuck to themselves and their friends (pretty typical of the bar scene here). But I did get asked to dance by a few people I didn't know, and so did the friend I was with.

If you enjoy salsa or you just want to try something new and have a good time with your friends, come down to the Ritz on Wednesday nights and salsa, salsa, salsa.

No comments: