Monday, July 25, 2005

Taqueria La Parrilla

This is a pretty excellent Mexican restraurant in town. Its located in the Homewood shopping center, next to Vision Video on Jefferson Road. Honestly, I've lived and worked in Athens for 10 years and I would not have found it by myself. According to some of the people I was with (and flagpole) the food is pretty authentic Mexican. All I can say for sure though is that its good.

There are two things that make a good Mexican restaurant for me , good vegetarian chiles rellenos , and agua horchata. This place had both. But it seemed like everything else was good too. Between everyone I was with we had just about everything on the menu and I didn't hear any complaints (and many of us had quite a bit of experience with the real thing). Although I can personally only vouch for the enchiladas, the agua horchaida, the chiles rellenos , the refried beans, and the guacamole, I'd give this place another try. I'm not going to go ahead and say it was earth shattering or anything, I'm not that hooked yet, but.. give me another chance and I might.
All the food was quality. The enchiladas were not too dry or soggy (like they are in many places), they were just the right consistency of corn and cheese. The beans were nice and soft, and not too hot. And the chile relleno was great. If I had any complaints about the food at all, is what that my chili still had all its seeds in it. I took a bite of one and started sweating and choking, which is not something I enjoy, but I'm not giving up the chiles just yet.

The atmosphere was decent, but nothing particular to speak of. It was crowded, but not so crowded that all 15 of us couldn't find a seat quickly. There were a lot of families and other groups coming for lunch after church (or whatever). But it was Sunday, so that makes sense.
We got served kind of slow, but that may have been because they tried to bring out all our orders together. The only other complaint I have is that I couldn't read the menu, but that may because I'm mostly blind, and it was pretty small type.

All in all Taqueria La Parrilla is a excellent restaurant that I would definitely want to come back to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel free to share your writings on Athens at AthensWorld.com. (I would have e-mailed you, but you didn't provide an address.)

haider ali said...

This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it,
μπουζουκια αθηνα